Saturday, May 2, 2009

Weekend update

Pinnacle Care's nurse (not Elizabeth, who is in bed with a 7-month twin pregnancy!) came by yesterday to supervise me changing my dressing and the tips on the lumens. Everything went well. The materials aren't 100% the same as what they use in the hospital but they are close enough, and I've got enough Saline and Heparin to keep the lines functional. So I can cross that concern off my list.

Not much else to report, other than the back pain is real and not going anywhere. I had thought the dex would relieve it pretty significantly but day two on dex and nothing. My hope is that it's muscle atrophy. I'm trying to do some light stuff around the house (moving wine boxes, etc, which does involve lifting things that weigh 50 pounds or so, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it). I don't know any better way to build muscle, though, except through use.

Otherwise, tired, but feeling good. It is so uplifting to be back home and spent time with my children and as a family. We had a couple of friends over for dinner last night, ate a great meal, drank some good wine -- almost normal! It felt really, really good and I look forward to the day when I can do this without worrying about having to begin another course of treatment soon. And, of course, without the back pain.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great Nick. Your blogs keep me smiling. I'm so glad you are home and enjoying family and friends. Little Rock is rainy/gloomy today, but we're hoping to get out of here later next week. I lift a glass to our recovery. (and stop lifting 50 lb boxes!--one step at a time, my friend.)
    Dan and Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Muscle Man, don't you think that starting out with items that weigh half of what you're currently lifting might be advisable? There's a system to building up those slack muscles and it usually involves a GRADUAL build-up... glad you are feeling so much better and here's a toast to you and the family -- "May you continue to prove that attitude is half the battle and may your medical advisors help you conquer the other half."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the Hercules of can-survive fighters. Several weeks ago I read a post where you would drift between your daily activities with a tone of how truly pissed off you were that this was happening to you. You write with such detail and emotion that I can visualize your meetings and feel your feelings, it's truly amazing. You're a very, very talented person, and that's in addition to the wizardry on the trumpet. Cancer knocked on the wrong door. Keep up the fight and I look forward to seeing you at an alumni gig in 5 or 10 years.

    This weekend I'm playing in a jazz band and we're playing a tune "Things Ain't The Way They Used To Be". I'll be dedicating my solo (of course I'll be taking it from the tenor sax) to you for your continued fight as well as the meaning it has in your life.

    PS - I'm glad we were always on the same team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick,

    Glad to see you are home in LA. What are you thinking lifting cases of wine? I learnt the hard way and still have a bad back!
    Enjoy your stay back home.
    My thoughts and parayers are with you
    Matt Velkes

    ReplyDelete